Bronxville, NY – Invisalign treatment is a wonderful way to get the smile you’ve always wanted, but just like any other orthodontic treatment, it can take a bit to get used to. Dr. Sam Polan of Tuckahoe Family Orthodontics explains Invisalign treatment and offers his top five tips for getting used to wearing your Invisalign aligners.
“Invisalign offers a clear, comfortable and removable way for patients to straighten their smiles and perfect their bites,” says Dr. Polan. “Using a series of custom created and perfectly calibrated aligners, the treatment works to slowly and gently guide the teeth to their new locations. Aligners fit snugly over the teeth in order to apply the needed pressure. Aligner series are changed out every 10-14 days, and aligners are worn approximately 22 hours a day. At the end of treatment, patients have their new smiles ready to show off!”
Dr. Polan’s top tips for getting used to wearing your aligners include:
- Wear your aligners as directed. The best way to get used to your aligners is to be sure you wear them as your orthodontic told you to. Because they are removable, we know it can be tempting to take them out, especially if they feel a bit uncomfortable. But the only way for your mouth to get used to them is to wear them. Especially in the beginning, the aligners will feel strange in your mouth. They are intended to fit snugly over your teeth so they can apply the force necessary to move your teeth to their intended locations. Wear each set of aligners a minimum of 22 hours a day to ensure they are doing their job.
- Practice makes perfect. Getting the hang of life in aligners takes a bit of getting used to. You may notice that your speech is a bit altered when you first start wearing our aligners. That’s because your tongue is used to coming into contact with the back of your teeth for certain sounds, and because your mouth will make additional saliva as it’s getting used to the aligners. The best way to ensure you are back to your usual speaking patterns is to practice. The same is true about being able putting your aligners in and removing them flawlessly. They are designed to be snug, so practice placing them in your mouth and taking them out so you can do it as seamlessly as possible.
- Clean your aligners. Even though you only wear each set of aligners for a short time, if you don’t clean them regularly and properly, they will begin to smell and can even become discolored. Dr. Polan recommends cleaning your aligners when you brush your teeth and after every time you eat. Use a clear, anti-bacterial soap and a soft bristled toothbrush to gently clean the aligners. Rinse them thoroughly before placing them back in your mouth.
- Keep a case handy. You’ll remove your aligners whenever you eat or drink anything but plain water, so it’s important to have a sturdy case handy to place your aligners in when you take them out. Leaving them out can expose them to bacteria, but it’s also easy to forget about them and accidentally throw them away.
- Patience is a virtue. Clear aligners are designed to be clear and comfortable, and the fact that they are removable is a huge bonus. But that doesn’t mean they are without a few small headaches along the way. Orthodontic treatment of any kind takes some getting used to. So, remember to be patient with yourself and with your treatment.
If you are from Tuckahoe or Bronxville area and are interested in learning more about Invisalign clear aligner treatment, call Dr. Polan at Tuckahoe Family Orthodontics today at 914-654-1859.