Bronxville, Tuckahoe and Eastchester NY – Over the years, we have seen great strides in orthodontic technology, including high tech appliances such as Invisalign clear aligners. While several more inconspicuous options exist, metal braces are still popular for one very important reason – they work. And they work very well.
“Traditional metal braces may not be the most subtle way to straighten your teeth, but they are often the most efficient,” says Dr. Sam Polan. “We still use them because as our technology improves, so do they. Today, they can move teeth more efficiently, effectively, and comfortably than ever before.”
Not only that, modern brackets are sleeker than ever, meaning they’re more comfortable, and they won’t give you nearly as much of a “metal mouth” look as braces of the past. And when it comes to efficiency for the most difficult malocclusions, it’s hard to beat metal braces.
“An orthodontist has more control over tooth movement with metal braces than with other options,” says Dr. Polan. “And for issues like extreme overcrowding, this can be very helpful.”
Let’s look at the numerous benefits offered by standard metal braces.
- Strength and durability. Compared to other materials available in orthodontic treatments, metal braces are the most durable. They won’t break easily, which means your treatment will stay on track. While clear and ceramic braces work similarly, they are more fragile and the brackets can break more easily. Clear braces are also bulkier than metal braces, which makes them harder to use in certain situations.
- Affordability. Metal braces are the most affordable orthodontic treatment option, so you don’t have to worry about expensive treatment to get a beautiful, healthy smile.
- Ability. Not every orthodontic treatment option will be ideal for every patient. Some options simply don’t have the capabilities to handle the most severe malocclusions. But metal braces can efficiently tackle even the most complicated orthodontic issue.
- Personalization. You can show off your personality by opting for elastics in your favorite colors, or support your favorite sports team, or celebrate an upcoming holiday with the color of your elastics.
- Stay on track. With options like clear aligners, you have to be really good about wearing your aligners all the time for them to work. While they work well when used properly, some people don’t want to have to remember to always wear their aligners. Because braces are always in your mouth, and always working, you’ll be able to stay on track without having to think as much about them.
“We have a lot of great orthodontic options available today, but metal braces are here to stay,” says Dr. Polan. “Orthodontic technology continues to improve, and while there are now great options available for pretty much anyone, traditional braces continue to improve with technology also, and they continue to remain the most versatile orthodontic treatment option.”
Schedule a complimentary initial consultation with Dr. Polan today to learn more about if traditional braces are the right option for you to improve your smile by calling Tuckahoe Family Orthodontics at (914) 654-1859.