Tuckahoe, NY – Summer is upon us and we know many of you are looking forward to kicking back and relaxing. While summer is a time for carefree fun, Dr. Sam Polan wants to remind his orthodontic patients that it isn’t a time to slack on their braces care.
“I know that many of my patients will be traveling, going on vacation or to summer camps,” says Dr. Polan. “It’s important to remember a few things about your orthodontic care while you’re on summer break.”
- Limit your intake of sugary foods. We know summer is full of ice cream, popsicles and lemonade, but too much sugar can wreak havoc on your smile. There are a lot of great sugar-free options for cool treats, and you can flavor plain water with some fruit to make it even more refreshing.
- Don’t forget your essentials. If you will be traveling this summer, or even if you know you’ll just be out of the house a lot visiting friends, going to the pool, and other fun things, make sure you keep a toothbrush, toothpaste and floss with you. That way you can properly clean your braces wherever you are. It can also be helpful to make sure you always have orthodontic wax with you, just in case you experience any irritation. And if you wear a retainer, don’t forget your case!
- Remember what foods don’t mix with braces. Just because you’re taking a break from school doesn’t mean you can take a break from the rules of braces wear. Just say no to popcorn, bagels, and anything too crunchy, chewy or sticky.
- Keep brushing! We know your usual routine is changed up a lot over the summer, but you still need to remember to brush and floss regularly.
- Don’t forget about us! Summer vacation can be a busy time, so make sure you remember to schedule your checkups with your orthodontist so he or she can make sure your treatment stays on track.
“Even if you wear braces or another orthodontic appliance, you can still have a fun and fulfilling summer,” says Dr. Polan. “Just be sure to follow these tips and you’ll keep your treatment on track. If you know you’ll be gone for an extended vacation this summer, don’t forget to schedule a checkup before you leave.”
Parents should be sure that their children maintain their regular oral care routines over the summer, to ensure cavities or other dental issues don’t set back treatment time. If you’ll be heading out to a summer camp, make sure you and your parents have discussed how to handle an orthodontic emergency with camp staff. Most orthodontic issues, such as loose wires, can easily be handled by you, but be sure you see an orthodontist as soon as possible to be sure that any damage to your appliances is corrected quickly.
If you’re setting out on a summer adventure, call our office today to schedule your summer check-up so you can rest easy knowing your smile is in good hands.